[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Simplest way of playing HD .mkv's/.avi's on a TV?? (Out of the loop about FEs, help!)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 19:59:31 UTC 2009

> I admit I have barely glanced at threads on the list pertaining to ION,
> atom, etc. frontends and if any of these are reasonably priced ($100-$250
> range?) and can do what I'm asking here, then great, appreciate any
> recommendations.
>
> P.S. It's fine if the device runs via linux, I can surely set up everything
> and maintain it if need be, but of course the MAIN thing here is that the
> interface and viewing experience is pretty simple. I don't know if this is
> getting into "build a myth BE/FE" territory or not, though I'd rather avoid
> that as again, this guy needs coaching on how to select the right disc with
> his multi-disc receiver, heh...

Well it looks like you don't want anything to do with mythtv so you
are more than slightly off topic. You are probably better off with
google. There are lots of ION systems available in the $200 range.
Again google. The Aspire Revo is popular and can be found for $200 or
less. You can run windows or Linux on these. Check out XBMC or Boxee
for media center software. But you are probably better off somewhere
else this is the mythtv-users list not a general purpose home media
center list. Check out AVS forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/) for
more general home AV discussion.