[mythtv-users] MythCloud, think bigger think outside the box

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:14:14 UTC 2009

>> Will you reply this response to the next person asking about dvd playback?
>
> DVD playback is legal.  MythTV supports playing and ripping unencrypted
> non-copyrighted DVD's.  MythTV does /not/ support playing encrypted DVD's.
>  Since all commercial, copyrighted DVD's that I have ever seen use CSS
> encryption, Myth doesn't support playing and ripping commercial, copyrighted
> DVD's.

Also just to emphasize, DVD playback is a DMCA issue and is limited to
the US and a few other places with similar laws. It is not a copyright
violation and is perfectly legal in much of the world. The suggested
cloud DVR would be a copyright violation and would be illegal pretty
much everywhere. It is irrelevant that you are splitting the files up
as other has mentioned. Your software's primary purpose would be to
facilitate your users obtaining content that they didn't pay for and
don't have the rights to. Your users will be liable for copyright
infringement. Those who make the software will be liable for what is
called 'facillitating copyright infringement'. They could also get you
for another violation called 'inducing copyright infringement', for
which they only have to show that you were encouraging others by
aiding or counseling them on how to do it. If you still think your
project would hold up, look at all of the P2P companies that have
failed in courts all over the world. See Napster, Kazaa, Limewire,
Pirate Bay, etc. None of them were busted for copyright infringement.
They were all charged with facilitating and inducing infringement.