[mythtv-users] Odd audio problem. Can only get audio via spdif

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 24 20:50:57 UTC 2009

On 11/24/2009 02:52 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> In that ticket it suggests setting the audio device to ALSA: nopulse
>>> Why is this different than setting ALSA:default
>>> and setting this in asound.conf (and erasing .asoundrc)?
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/397932#397932
>>
>> (i.e. because there's more than just $HOME/.asoundrc).
> You use asound.conf for a global configuration and then individual
> users can override this with .asoundrc files
>
> I always think of a myth box as a dedicated box where you want just
> one configuration.  But, what I said was aimed more at the content of
> the file than which file you use.  I don't see why changing the name
> of the sound driver to nopulse instead of just properly defining
> default is the way to go.

Yeah, it's not inherently better.  In theory, the default should be set
up as the most-often-used configuration and all other configs defined in
the ALSA conf with human-readable/rememberable/understandable names.

I didn't notice you had mentioned /etc/asound.conf originally, so I
figured it was changing your config back after deleting $HOME/.asoundrc.

Mike