[mythtv-users] HD-PVR as IR receiver under Mythbuntu, advice needed

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:02:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
> > So I've been planning my upgrade to 0.22, along with adding an HD-PVR and
> replacing my frontend hardware with a Revo. The Revo doesn't have a serial
> port, so my IR sensor will no longer be usable. However, the HD-PVR has an
> IR sensor built-in, and from what I can gather, there is support for it in
> lirc, but this support is kind of an in-progress thing.  I want to use
> Mythbuntu for my myth system, and upgrade the lirc drivers to handle the
> HD-PVR sensor.
> >
> > In this message:
> >
> > http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-September/263197.htmll
> >
> > Jarod talks about ways to upgrade lirc to work with the HD-PVR. However,
> I think his examples all pertain to Fedora.
>
> No. Everything after option 1 there pertains to Linux, nothing
> Fedora-specific at all.
>
> For Fedora 12 though, it should all Just Work, right out of the box.
>
> > Does anyone have advice on what route to take to get this working under
> Mythbuntu?  I have some, but not a lot (and not in several years), of
> experience with kernel rebuilding, if that ends up being necessary.
>
> Its not. See option 3 in the url you referenced. (but I'd use the latest
> git head, rather than the version referenced there).

Excellent.  Is the receiver code pretty stable at this point?  I read
somewhere in my searching something about the HD-PVR becoming unresponsive
or something occasionally when using lirc with it.  If this is not an issue,
that means I can go ahead and order the Revo with the knowledge that I'll be
able to get it working with not too much pain and suffering on my part.

Thanks Jarod.