[mythtv-users] MythCloud, think bigger think outside the box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 24 21:14:00 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 12:30:40 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/24/2009 06:14 AM, Bill Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Robert McNamara
> >
> >> Sadly, I suspect I
> >> am about to get shouted down for this post.  THIS
> >> IDEA IS NOT LEGAL.  THIS IDEA IS NOT PERMITTED DISCUSSION ON THIS
> >> LIST.  YOU have nothing to lose from the project getting sued and/or
> >> the authors of the project being help liable for facilitating illegal
> >> activity, *I DO*.
> >
> > Will you reply this response to the next person asking about dvd
> > playback?
>
> DVD playback is legal.  MythTV supports playing and ripping unencrypted
> non-copyrighted DVD's.  MythTV does /not/ support playing encrypted
> DVD's.  Since all commercial, copyrighted DVD's that I have ever seen
> use CSS encryption, Myth doesn't support playing and ripping commercial,
> copyrighted DVD's.

I have several commercial DVDs that I have purchased that are not "protected"
by CSS. These are collections of old TV shows, like the "Honeymooners"
and "The Beverly Hillbillies" and similar material. The disks do have the
usual "FBI" warning and a copyright notice on the package, but are otherwise
not protected in any way.

Since the DVDs are not CSS-protected, I believe it is perfectly legal in the
USA for me to make archival copies of them. I believe it would be legal for
me to lend a disk to somebody else to view, but I'm not certain of that.
Certainly it would be illegal for me to give away or sell copies of the
disks.

I mention this only to say that not all commercial DVDs are CSS- protected,
though certainly the vast majority are.

There is a vast difference between the copyright restrictions and the DMCA
restrictions against breaking ther CSS protection.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org