[mythtv-users] HD-PVR as IR receiver under Mythbuntu, advice needed

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:58:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:
> > On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:

> and replacing my frontend hardware with a Revo. The Revo doesn't have a
> serial port, so my IR sensor will no longer be usable. However, the HD-PVR
> has an IR sensor built-in, and from what I can gather, there is support for
> it in lirc, but this support is kind of an in-progress thing.  I want to use
> Mythbuntu for my myth system, and upgrade the lirc drivers to handle the
> HD-PVR sensor.

> However, I think his examples all pertain to Fedora.
> > >
> > > No. Everything after option 1 there pertains to Linux, nothing
> Fedora-specific at all.
> > >
> > > For Fedora 12 though, it should all Just Work, right out of the box.

> under Mythbuntu?  I have some, but not a lot (and not in several years), of
> experience with kernel rebuilding, if that ends up being necessary.
> > >
> > > Its not. See option 3 in the url you referenced. (but I'd use the
> latest git head, rather than the version referenced there).
> > >
> > > Excellent.  Is the receiver code pretty stable at this point?  I read
> somewhere in my searching something about the HD-PVR becoming unresponsive
> or something occasionally when using lirc with it.  If this is not an issue,
> that means I can go ahead and order the Revo with the knowledge that I'll be
> able to get it working with not too much pain and suffering on my part.
> >
> > There are reports of the unit essentially locking itself up during
> recording if the ir part is being polled by the lirc_zilog driver, yes. Not
> sure if that's an issue with the hdpvr driver or the lirc_zilog driver at
> this point. I don't actually use my hdpvr for much of anything at the
> moment, and haven't had time to dig into it.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Does use of the HD-PVR receiver necessitate use of lirc_zilog?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Is lirc_zilog always polling the IR?
>
> If loaded and bound to the hdpvr, yes.
>
> > Is there any way to prevent polling,
>
> Don't load lirc_zilog, or rewrite lirc_zilog to be interrupt-driven. (Not
> even sure if that's possible... It'd definitely be preferred if it was
> though).
>
> > and what implications does that have?
>
> Non-functional IR receiver. If you're not polling it, you're not going to
> see any incoming IR signals.

Sounds like it's unknown whether this lockup affects all HD-PVR+lirc users
or what the frequency is, or when you'll have time to look into it.  Fair
enough.  It's not the answer I was hoping for, but better than no answer.  I
still think I'll go ahead and get the Revo, and if I experience the same
thing and it isn't too hard, I'll try to help debug it.

When you say "non-functional IR receiver", do you mean the driver isn't
functioning or the hardware/firmware?  Or unknown?

-Jerry