[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Simplest way of playing HD .mkv's/.avi's on a TV?? (Out of the loop about FEs, help!)

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:09:20 UTC 2009

>> > P.S. It's fine if the device runs via linux, I can surely set up everything
>> > and maintain it if need be, but of course the MAIN thing here is that the
>> > interface and viewing experience is pretty simple. I don't know if this is
>> > getting into "build a myth BE/FE" territory or not, though I'd rather avoid
>> > that as again, this guy needs coaching on how to select the right disc with
>> > his multi-disc receiver, heh...
>>
>> Well it looks like you don't want anything to do with mythtv so you
>> are more than slightly off topic. You are probably better off with
>> google. There are lots of ION systems available in the $200 range.
>
> ...or Engadget.
>
> There are plenty of appliances out there that are well suited to being
> the frontend for a virtual DVD Jukebox. They are in the same price range
> as ION PC hardware.

If no MythTV FE needed, I can highly recommend the Popcorn Hour
(A-110). I have two of them now, both pulling from a NAS, but you can
also put a disk in them. When you want to get fancy, there's skins to
do nice jukebox front ends, but OOB its still pretty usable. And not
that expensive for what you get.

If you have a myth BE you can also connect to it through uPnP, but its
not the nice Myth frontend, just a list of stuff.

Go too cheap and I think you'll regret it, the PCH has lots of
potential for future growth and is actively supported. The HD quality
on my 1080p projector is quite stunning with good MKV files.

Robin