[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Nov 25 03:21:16 UTC 2009

Johnny Walker wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I also have trouble - I set my Cable box to 'my tv only supports 720
>>> and 1080i - suddenly it recorded Dexter at 1080i and my frontend had
>>> issues decoding it smoothly. I was using VDPAU High Quality and it
>>> stuttered pretty bad. I changed to VDPAU normal and it was better but
>>> on panning I noticed some aliasing.
>> Unfortunately for you the 8300 is one the least powerful VDPAU capable
>> chips. It will do the decoding but you are going to be very limited on
>> your deinterlacers. Look at the chart in the wiki:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Supported_Cards. You are going to be
>> limited to One Field, Bob, and Temporal 1x. The 8300 is very similar
>> to the 8200.
>
> I suspected as much - I think I'll swap this motherboard into my
> backend as it's more powerful and make a new frontend using an Atom
> board. I see discussion on this list of which atom form factor boards
> are good.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good and stylish atom form factor case for HTPC?

Zotac just announced a ION mb plus atom form factor case combo. It's a
book sized plastic case like some of the Morex cases. Nice.

I'm using a Casetronic 299 which comes with an external brick and a PICO
psu style plugin, so the ION-A-E which I bought was actually the wrong
unit. I ended up with 2 bricks! The Casetronic is an all metal unit: a
little more industrial looking. Lots of ventilation.

Geoff