[mythtv-users] why change db stuff with every version change?

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:41:00 UTC 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:43 AM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:

>> sounds too  familiar, I had to tear down my db & rebuild when i came
>> from previous versions to 0.21 and seems the cycle repeats again.
>> which makes wonder, why are we doing this to ourselves?
>

> Why in the world would you have to do that ? I've been using the
> VERY same mysql DB since version 0.12 or so.
>
> As long as you aren't manually mucking around and changing the
> schema then myth should update it for you as needed.

Agreed, mine is from 0.18, and has lived on 3 different backend
systems. Things you might want to remember: nightly backup and
optimization. I keep 7 days of backups (named for the day of the week)
and *if* my upgrade goes south, I can roll back to the most current
backup. The last time I had trouble with an update was from 0.18 to
0.19, and it may have been self inflicted, but wasn't due to DB schema
updates, rather it was lirc and bttv issues with the kernel.

~Jon