[mythtv-users] 1920x1080 playing a 720p video?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Nov 25 17:18:04 UTC 2009

Ken Johnson wrote:
> I am using an ASUS P5N7A-VM mobo nvidia 9300 integrated graphics  intel
> Q8300 proc. I currently have my playback video settings set at VDPAU
> Normal on a 1920 by 1080 monitor. Your solution did show much better
> performance especially when the OSD appears and disappears but when I
> watch a movie in 720p now there isn't as much tearing as before after I
> did what you said I added this line
>
> Section "Extensions"
>     Option         "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> now my xorg.conf looks like this
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         DefaultDepth    24
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Default Device"
>         Driver  "nvidia"
>         Option  "UseEvents"     "1"
>         Option  "DPI"   "100x100"
>         Option  "NoLogo"        "1"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
>     Option         "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> Is there anything else that I should be doing? and sorry if I didn't post the message properly i'm new to this.

You can add the following sections/options to your xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option         "DPMS" "true"  # To control screenblanking
     Option         "DontZap" "false" # Allows ctrl-alt-backspace to
                                      # restart X.
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     Option         "TripleBuffer" "true"  # Allocates more 2D buffers
     Option         "DRI" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "Unknown"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
     VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
     Option         "DPMS" "true"     # To control screenblanking
EndSection

Then use ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X (no hard boot required).

Geoff