[mythtv-users] 5.1 playback using Internal player + MKVs (mythvideo)

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Wed Nov 25 21:55:47 UTC 2009

I am just fiddling with vlc/mplayer and just tried the Internal player with
a few HD .MKV movie files. I am wondering if there is a way to get 5.1
playback using my setup, for which 5.1 must use the dmix6 plug from my
/etc/asound.conf. For example, with mplayer this is my command to playback
w/5.1 sound:

mplayer -screenh 1200 -screenw 1920 -ao alsa:device=plug=dmix6 -channels 6
-vf screenshot -delay -0.1 -fs

And in VLC, I need to cycle through the Audio Device to get to 5.1 (just a
couple hits on the remote, no biggie).

I just went into setup > tv > osd menu editor and under the Video options, I
see Audio Tracks checked, but I'm guessing I need something to control the
device it plays back through. Just curious if I can achieve some means of
cycling to the dmix6 plug with the internal player, or if I need to go the
route of setting up pulse audio or something..

Thanks a lot
Bob