[mythtv-users] Never built a system from scratch - will this work?

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:06:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Rick <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:
> My myth box just bit the dust and I'm clamoring to have a replacement
> ready as soon as possible.  Since I've never built one from scratch I
> was wondering if I'll be ok with this setup:
> ----------
> GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
> Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX
> AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W
> -----------
> One thing I'm concerned about is whether the motherboard will fit in the
> case.  I tried looking at the pictures, but I'm having a tough time
> determining if all the back panel jacks and stuff will line up with
> opening.  I intend to move my 2 PVR 150's into it as well.
>
> I'm planning to use my existing IDE disks but it looks like it will only
> support two of them.  (I have 3)
>
> Do you think I should not use the onboard VATI ideo card and get an Nvidia?
>
> If this case is too tight, what would you recommend that also has 24+8
> power leads?

1: That looks like a good start.  Don't forget ram, dvd drive, etc.
2: Yes, the motherboard ports will exit the case fine.  The plate with
all the portholes in it is able to be knocked out, and your
motherboard -shoud- come with one to replace it with (if it doesn't,
you can call the manufacturer and get one)
3: the PVR150's are gonna be right next to each other...be sure you
keep this in a well ventilated area...that could get hot.
4: Yep...only 2 IDE's ... and don't forget your DVD drive might be IDE as well.
5: NVidia . . . and see #3 about heat.

Remember...things are always cramped in a mmpc.
Hope that helps!
--
Doug