[mythtv-users] Never built a system from scratch - will this work?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Nov 25 23:06:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Rick <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing I'm concerned about is whether the motherboard will fit in the
> case.  I tried looking at the pictures, but I'm having a tough time
> determining if all the back panel jacks and stuff will line up with
> opening.  I intend to move my 2 PVR 150's into it as well.

Motherboards come with a metal panel to fit into the back of the case so
that the ports aren't an issue. If you have 2 slots on the mobo and the
case, then your cards should be fine.

> I'm planning to use my existing IDE disks but it looks like it will only
> support two of them.  (I have 3)

Might be a problem. If it has only 1 IDE port (most do) then you have to
share the IDE port to attach 2 drives. This will cause performance problems.
If it will cause problems for your uses is hard to say. I only mention it so
you can be aware of it. I'd switch to SATA disks if you can, for at least
the recordings.

> Do you think I should not use the onboard VATI ideo card and get an Nvidia?

VDPAU is really nice. I would do that, personally. I use NVidia in all my
frontend boxes.