[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Mytbox will not power off

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 17:03:15 UTC 2009

I've just built my MythBox with an ASRoc A78GMH/128M motherboard and
an Antec NSK2480 case.  So far things basically work (within the
bounds of me figuring out how to get the remote control to work and
how to use the proprietary ATI/Radeon video drivers), but I have a
hardware issue that I suspect members of this list might have some
insight on...

The power supply does not shut down... neither when I choose Shutdown
from Mythbuntu nor when I press and hold the power button.  Everything
else shuts down.. disks are unmounted cleanly (choosing shutdown), the
video monitor loses sync (as if the CPU and video chipsets have shut
down), but the fans continue to run.

I contacted ASRock; they verified that I had the power & reset
switches installed correctly (which I did) and then suggested I return
the motherboard for an RMA.

I contacted Antec; they suggested that I clear the CMOS (which I did),
and I haven't heard back from them yet.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare power supply that I can just try
with this box and see if I can isolate the problem to the power supply
or not.  So, I would rather test the power supply in isolation from
the motherboard.  Does anybody know if the on/off button gets wired
directly to pins on the 24-pin power connector?  Or does that button
traverse logic first?  If the button is routed directly to pins on the
power connector, I should be able to disconnect the power supply from
the motherboard, briefly short those pins together, and see the power
come on (via a meter, or via the fans).  Then I should be able to
short them together again for 8-10 seconds and see everything shut
down.  If there is some logic from the motherboard required to
implement this simple function, then I won't be able to test this in
isolation, and I'll probably just ship both motherboard and case back
to Newegg for an exchange.

I really don't want to ship the motherboard back.  Things will just
get messy having to pull out the CPU, get more thermal goop, etc...

Any thoughts experts?

--wpd