[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Thu Nov 26 23:11:10 UTC 2009

>I have had 2 instances of this error that resulted in my mythbox actually
>shutting down. I don't find any evidence of a kernel panic and the last
>lines in the mythbackend.log are the errors above. Nothing in any logs that

>I can find so I've no clue what actually happened.
>
>All I know is that myth was on, recording a show, these errors showed up
for
>the entire length of the recording, and at 15:24 the machine shuts down.
>Both recordings ended up being exactly 15:09.

Yesterday I again got this error resulting in a shutdown, and the resulting
video was the same 15:09.  When I powered on the computer, I started getting
messages like this:

usb 1-7: device descriptor read/64, error -110

They showed up after the POST but before fedora shows the startup progress
bar.  I've seen these errors before; I will see about 12-15 error messages
that take about 3-4 minutes to show up.  What I did was shut off the HD-PVR
knowing that it was in a bad state, and the error messages immediately
ceased and fedora loaded.

This leads me to a question: do you leave your HD-PVR on 24/7, or do you
power it on when needed?  I find that I have to power cycle the HD-PVR when
these errors polling errors crop up en masse.  I was thinking of using an IR
blaster to power on and off the HD-PVR when necessary with MythTv (assuming
that I can set up Myth to power on the HD-PVR when a show is to be
recorded).