[mythtv-users] Problem font name of channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 26 23:20:51 UTC 2009

On 11/26/2009 12:46 AM, Romont Sylvain wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have my mythtv (0.22) in japanese and it's working well!
>
> When I watch the TV the name of channel is only square... I have all the fonts and in the channel setting the name is good too!
> I have only this problem inside the player...
>
> How can I fix it?
>
> Thank you for your answer!

The OSD is done completely differently from the rest of Myth.  For all
of the UI, Myth uses the Qt-provided fonts installed on the system.  For
the OSD, Myth reads ttf files "directly" (through freetype) and then
creates the glyphs--therefore system fonts and system font-replacement
rules do not apply.

The font specified by your OSD theme (likely FreeSans or FreeMono)
doesn't have Japanese characters.  Therefore, you need to edit the
osd.xml and specify a better font.

Note, also, that the OSD is being completely rewritten to work more like
the rest of the UI.  At that point, we'll need new OSD themes, so you
can help prospective OSD themers by letting them know what
free/GPL-compatible fonts cover the characters you need.

Mike