[mythtv-users] Backend constantly restarting

Michael Harnden mike at rochestervball.com
Fri Nov 27 19:13:48 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 12:56:03 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/23/2009 07:20 PM, Chris Dennis wrote:
> > Michael Harnden wrote:
> >>
> >> snip

> >> Well I uninstalled monit and nagios and the restarting problem went
> >> away. I will investigate
> >> tomorrow to see which was the guilty party.
> >
> > I had a similar problem -- cured by uninstalling monit.
> >
> > It didn't happen initially when I upgraded to 0.22 (which I did very
> > messily by upgrading Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.10 in one go, and it all went a
> > bit strange for a while).  While sorting out that mess, monit got
> > uninstalled, and mythtv has been fine.
> >
> > I reinstalled monit this evening, and suddenly mythtv kept restarting
> > -- I didn't notice until I found this thread that the restart was
> > happening  exactly every minute.  For now, I'll live without monit.
>
> How was monit set to monitor the backend's status?  I need to know so I
> can try to figure out why monit is killing Myth.
>
> (different) Mike

Mike,
I haven't had the time to reinstall (family is hooked on Mythtv and isn't fond of down time), but
here is the config file I was using. When I have time I will reinstall and report back.

# Monit control file
#
# Comments begin with a '#' and extend through the end of the line.
# Blank lines between program entries are ignored. Keywords are case
# insensitive. All path's MUST BE FULLY QUALIFIED, starting with '/'
#

set daemon  30
set logfile /var/log/monit.log
set mail-format
 { from: mike at XXXX.site}
set alert mike at XXXX.site  # Send alert to system admin on any event
set httpd port 2812 and
    allow XXXX.site
    allow 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    allow 127.0.0.1
    allow admin:monit     # user 'admin' with password 'monit'

check process mythbackend with pidfile /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid
 #group mythtv
 start program = "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart"
 stop program  = "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop"
# if failed port 6544 proto http then restart
 depends on mysql

check process mysql with pidfile /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
 #group mythtv
 start program = "/etc/init.d/mysql start"
 stop program = "/etc/init.d/mysql stop"
 if failed port 3306 then restart