[mythtv-users] how to stop lircmd interacting with myth menus?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:27:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 13:20, Robert Parker
<theparkers.mailbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have configured lircmd so that I can control the mouse using the
> remote control.
> In mainmenu.xml I have a button to shell out to firefox:
>   <button>
>      <type>TV_WATCH_TV</type>
>       <text>iPlayer</text>
>       <action>EXEC firefox http://bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen </action>
>   </button>
>
> After exiting from firefox, mythtv does not return me to the menu
> position from where I launched the EXEC, instead I am in some random
> place in the menu hierarchy, probably guided by the remote control
> button presses that I used to direct the cursor (?).
> The http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide says that
> the EXEC will "tell MythTV to ignore LIRC button presses until the
> program exits".
>
> Could it be that mythtv is not ignoring lirc input (at least in the
> case when lircmd is also running). Is this a bug?
>
> Anyone got any ideas for a work-around?

As I recall, Firefox on Linux forks itself into a separate process,
returning immediately. Thus Myth doesn't know that Firefox is still
running. It may be possible to write a script that launches Firefox,
then loops (with a wait, to avoid spinlocking) until ps no longer
reports firefox is running, and only then returns.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
Sent from Regina, SK, Canada