[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Nov 27 23:25:09 UTC 2009

> I'm just frustrated with the media industry in general.

We all are. Heck, back in April or so I discovered WOW had unencrypted
digital feeds, so after keeping an eye on them for a few weeks I
ordered a second HDHR, and within 24 hours of it shipping out, the
digital feeds went encrypted. That was certainly frustrating

>and if you're suggesting that I'm "spoiled" for thinking that I should
>have direct access to the bits that I'm paying for, then I take
>offense at that as well.

I don't mean spoiled as in "little brat", just as in "we got a taste
of something just long enough to get accustomed to it, and now we are
longing to have it back". If that doesn't make sense, then just let me
assure you I didn't mean it in an offensive way.

> Again, I don't think it's productive to think of a world largely
> stripped of DRM as "fairy tale land".  That's a defeatist attitude.

Well, not that I don't think it will ever happen, but at the moment I
do feel it's a fairy tale. I suspect something more open is probably 5
or more years out. Removing DRM from MP3s didn't really happen until
people got used to all of their music being moved around and then
discovering it didn't work with their new device. I suspect it's going
to take something similar to get that sort of uproar about video DRM.
However, that's a ways out as we barely have any portability of video
media these days (so people don't know what they don't have), and most
of what we have comes from people buying it directly for their device
as downloadable content. I think we'll first see people concerned
about video downloads from amazon, itunes, etc. and stuff like the
BluRay discs with the digital copy. We'll need stuff like that to open
up more first. Content straight off TV to their device isn't even
something that has entered most people's minds, much less them being
inconvenienced by the DRM.