[mythtv-users] DVD playback

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 23:32:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM, MythTV <mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org> wrote:
> #7605: Jumpy DVD playback - lock contention
> ------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
>  Reporter:  john.p.harvey@…               |       Owner:  skamithi
>     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  assigned
> Component:  MythTV - Video Playback       |     Version:  head
>  Severity:  medium                        |     Mlocked:  0
> ------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
>
> Comment(by anonymous):
>
>  john.p.harvey, you are the man!  This bug has been driving me nuts for at
>  least a year.  I've had to resort to using a stand-alone DVD player to
>  watch rented DVDs ever since I upgraded to 0.21.  I just applied your
>  patch to the 0.22.0+fixes22594-0ubuntu1 package that comes with Ubuntu
>  Karmic and behold, we can finally play DVDs properly again! Thank you for
>  getting to the bottom of this issue and coming up with a fix.  Live long
>  and prosper!

Let me second this!  It's really nice to be able to play DVDs with a
consistent Myth interface, and great VDPAU scaling/deinterlacing.

With that huge issue out of the way, there are a couple of minor
things I've noticed.  Maybe someone has advice on them.  (These issues
are probably the same with ISO image playback.)

If I'm currently in the last chapter of the title, and I press the
Down or PageDown button, it displays "Next Title" on the OSD but does
nothing.  Skip Ahead (Right) and Skip Back (Left) work fine.

When displaying a still frame, Skip Ahead and Skip Back don't seem to
work.  Using Down or PageDown often also have no effect due to the
previously mentioned issue.

It's hard to know what's going to happen if you select "DVD Root
Menu", "DVD Title Menu", or "DVD Chapter Menu" from the OSD menu
during playback.  I think this is just an authoring issue and is the
same problem with standalone commercial DVD players.  The thing I most
commonly want to do with a DVD player's Menu button is to get to the
playback menu of the main title on the DVD.  Of course, there is
technically no such thing as a "main title", but DVD ripping software
often has an option of guessing the main title, which is presumably
the longest title.  I bet that an option to go to the title menu for
the "main title" would be just what I want.

Jim