[mythtv-users] Noticeable pixelation during playback since moving to 0.22?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 28 17:32:54 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 10:46 AM, Rob S wrote:
> I found the exact same thing when I upgraded to 0.22.  I run about the same
> front end as you (except with less memory).  It looks like they tweaked the
> default playback profiles so it looks like crap now for some reason on the
> mac front end.  I haven't tried out every option but setting it to opengl
> for the video renderer and opengl2 for the OSD.
>
> Does anyone else have any insight into what the default playback profile was
> for 0.21?

The playback profile group definitions have never changed since they
were introduced.

The default for someone creating a new database has been Normal since
Normal was added.  However, due to a bug in the settings that will get
thrown away with the rest of the settings code when settings are
converted to mythui, CPU+ ends up selected on a new database.  CPU+ is
one of the worst ones you could choose.

IMHO, anyone using any CPU++, CPU+, or CPU-- without any specific reason
to do so should switch to Slim.  If that works, then they can play with
other selections/definitions.  Feel free to try Normal, but Slim is
basically the most-likely-to-be-useful-on-most-systems playback profile
group.

If you had a database that already had a chosen playback profile group,
it did not change at all.

Mike