[mythtv-users] importing existing recorded programs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 28 17:39:44 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 12:15 PM, Johnny wrote:
>> But instead of upgrading, I am doing a clean install (always cleaner
>> that way).  I keep two separate partitions that I can use for / so I can
>> install 9.10 onto one and still dual boot into 8.04 if I need to.
>>
>> I also put /home on a separate partition and also all the recordings
>> (/var/lib/mythtv) on yet another partition (separate disk actually).
>>
>> After I install 9.10, I will move any and all files from the new /home
>> and put them into the old /home and then mount that at its appropriate
>> place.
>>
>> I will do the same for /var/lib/mythtv
>>
>> However, all those shows that are on that /var/lib/mythtv partition: how
>> do I get the database to see them?  There must be a perl script
>> somewhere in the installation that does that.
>>

> This is the officially supported way:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore. Partial
> restore will get your recording data. Make sure you upgrade your
> install to .22 before you backup. Otherwise you will restore a .21
> database to a .22 installation.

There's no good reason to do a partial restore for a working
database--it's really only useful as a near-last-resort for people who
have broken databases.  Therefore, do a full restore.

Just remember that if you change your hostname, you need to do
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
/before/ you start any mythtv program on the new-named host.

Best approach, though, do a new install and give the host the /exact/
same name as before.  Then shut down all frontends and backends and do a
full restore, then run mythtv-setup to upgrade the database.

Mike