[mythtv-users] recent dish external channel change problems?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 29 16:18:50 UTC 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 09:12:04 am Alex Williamson wrote:
> I've been using a dish vip211 with an IguanaWorks serial IR
> transceiver for most of the year with very high reliability on channel
> changes.  Recently, my channel change reliability has taken a nose
> dive.  I've played with my channel change script, increasing delays
> between commands, but I can't find a recipe that gets me back to the
> reliability I had earlier.  I typically get double button presses, so
> instead of tuning to channel 138, it might tune to channel 113, which
> doesn't exist in my lineup, sending me into the hard to get out of
> menus.  I've had to resort to using the dish guide to change channels
> to avoid this.
>
> I notice that http://dishuser.org/211sw.php lists that dish released a
> new firmware image for this system on 11/5/2209 (L527), which seems
> like it roughly coincides with when my channel change issues started,
> but my receiver claims to be running software version L458.  I'm
> running mythtv 0.22.0+fixes22890, but I suspect the issue is
> independent of mythtv as I get the same results manually running the
> channel change script outside of myth.
>
> Is anyone else having recent issues with dish receivers?  Is there an
> IR transmitter that's more reliable than serial, perhaps a USB-UIRT?
> Thanks,

I have not noticed any problems, I'm using a VIP722 and a serial-connected
"MyBlaster". The MyBlaster is extremely reliable, but is no longer available,
except perhaps through FleaBay.

Have you had any problems changing channels with the "official" DISH
remote?

Has anything in your environment changed? Perhaps a new lighting fixture?
Have you changed from incandescent to CFL lamps? Changed the curtains or
blinds in the room? Is there a difference between day and night
performance?