[mythtv-users] cards vs sources vs inputs confusion, problems and possible bugs

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sun Nov 29 16:26:15 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 07:18 PM, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got two cards - a DVB-S and a DVB-S2. Each is connected to its own
> LNB so they're independent of each other tuning-wise etc. The Card#1
> (DVB-S) can receive X channels while the Card#2 (DVB-S2) can receive X+Y
> channels (Y channels being DVB-S2 only). This is actually simplified a
> bit since Card#2 is in fact connected to DiSEqC switch and can receive X
> +Y+Z channels (Z channels are those from three other LNBs) but for the
> rest of the story this simplification shouldn't matter, hopefully.
>
> Since I didn't know how to map the video sources to inputs smartly I
> created two independent sources - Source1 and Source2, mapped to Card#1
> and Card#2 inputs respectively. I think it would be much better if I
> could say that there is source for X channels and source for Y channels
> and then set that Card#1 can use SourceX and Card#2 can use both SourceX
> and SourceY but I didn't know how to arrange that so I ended up with
> Source1 and Source2 where Source2 largely duplicates Source1 channels.
>
> This has the annoying disadvantage that if I need to tune to a new
> channel (or fix tuning to a channel that changed its identifications on
> the satellite) I have to scan and tune twice, first for Source1 and then
> for Source2. Everything regarding channels in "SourceX" is duplicated in
> the database. Is this correct approach at all?

[deleted]

I'm in the US, and am spoiled by the simplicity of Schedules Direct, so
I can't say I'm familiar with the exact steps required for your
situation, but I'm pretty certain it's possible.

Assuming your two cards are both receiving from the same service
provider, I'm also pretty sure you should not setup two independent
sources, as you will run into the problems you mentioned.

I have 2 cards also - one receives OTA broadcasts via antenna, and
another receives analog video from a satellite settop box.  I have one
source, but I have two lineups with Schedules Direct.  Most of the OTA
channels are duplicated on the satellite lineup, and I just associate
the OTA card with the OTA lineup for my region from Schedules Direct,
and the Satellite lineup is linked to my old analog card.  It all just
seems to work fine.

If you post who your satellite service provider is, I'm sure someone
else on the list can help you out.