[mythtv-users] What's the best way to restore a crashed MythTV 0.21 ?

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Mon Nov 30 04:17:16 UTC 2009

Monday, November 30, 2009, 5:27:10 AM, you wrote:

> On 11/29/2009 06:29 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>> Andrew Junev wrote:
>>> Thanks for the hints! Maybe it was a bad idea, but I just copied all
>>> the database files from my old system to the new one. Surprisingly, it
>>> just worked "as is" - mysql picked up all the data and it seem to be Ok.
>>> I then installed MythTV 0.22 from RPMFusion and ran mythtv-setup,
>>> which upgraded my database to the new version.
>>> And then mythbackend/mythfrontend just started normally.
>>> Is it bad? Should I still drop the database and restart from scratch,
>>> restoring only recorded programs?
>>>
>> Nah, if it worked at all it should be fine.
>>
>> The reason for doing a text dump is it's possible that a new
>> installation of MySQL, especially on a different architecture, might
>> not be able to read the binary files from a different version of
>> MySQL.  In my experience it works more often than not, though.  As
>> long as MySQL doesn't complain about the database files you should be
>> fine.

Sounds nice! :)

> Agreed.  You're fine--as long as before the upgrade you read the,
> "Upgrading MySQL," section of the MySQL documentation and all of the
> documentation it tells you to read before upgrade and follow all its
> instructions and prerequisites (i.e. to upgrade from 3.23 to 5.1,
> upgrade to 4.0 then 4.1 then 5.0 and finally to 5.1) and do all the
> things required for a successful upgrade--including running the
> appropriate scripts to convert data from the old binary format to the
> new binary format.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrade.html
> (In other words, there's a reason people who are MySQL database admins
> get paid to do the jobs they do.)

I forgot to mention - I ran some script supplied with MySQL that
checks/updates the database to the new version... Don't remember the
script name, though...

I'm far from being a MySQL admin, so I consider I was just lucky
enough this time to get it working... :)

I'll try to use a proper backup/restore procedure next time, and
whenever possible...

Any ideas why I get no video while playing back something that is
already recorded?

--
Best regards,
 Andrew