[mythtv-users] What's the best way to restore a crashed MythTV 0.21 ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 30 06:10:28 UTC 2009

On 11/29/2009 11:17 PM, Andrew Junev wrote:
> Monday, November 30, 2009, 5:27:10 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Agreed.  You're fine--as long as before the upgrade you read the,
>> "Upgrading MySQL," section of the MySQL documentation and all of the
>> documentation it tells you to read before upgrade and follow all its
>> instructions and prerequisites (i.e. to upgrade from 3.23 to 5.1,
>> upgrade to 4.0 then 4.1 then 5.0 and finally to 5.1) and do all the
>> things required for a successful upgrade--including running the
>> appropriate scripts to convert data from the old binary format to the
>> new binary format.
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrade.html
>> (In other words, there's a reason people who are MySQL database admins
>> get paid to do the jobs they do.)
>>
> I forgot to mention - I ran some script supplied with MySQL that
> checks/updates the database to the new version... Don't remember the
> script name, though...

Likely mysql_upgrade

> I'm far from being a MySQL admin, so I consider I was just lucky
> enough this time to get it working... :)
>
> I'll try to use a proper backup/restore procedure next time, and
> whenever possible...

IMHO, much easier.  I, also, am far from being a MySQL admin--and plan
to keep it that way.

> Any ideas why I get no video while playing back something that is
> already recorded?

Playback profile problems?  Or video driver installation problems.
Almost definitely unrelated to database.  (Though, if your hostname
changed, it may just be that you're not using the settings you
previously configured for that host and stored in the database, so
you're getting all defaults--including the
poor-choice-of-playback-profile-group, CPU+.)

Mike