[mythtv-users] Best latest Ion Boards?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Mon Nov 30 10:49:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Mark Garland
<mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm watching this area with interest as these ION boards would make an
> excellent frontend, and the Revo looks tempting as it already comes in a
> case with all the bits you need and looks quite stylist (e.g.
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153)
>
> Some say, e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169553, "Full 1080p HD video",
> but I fear that this is only when combined with DirectX10 on a Windows
> operating system.
>
> The thing that I'm struggling to find is an ION with at least a 9500 GPU, as
> IIRC this is what's needed for the most demanding deinterlacers.
> Looking at my Gainward 9500GT passive which is huge, I suspect that the
> cooling presents a huge problem here.
>
> Happy to be corrected,

-the ION by definition is a 9400M + ATOM.  Hence your inability to
find a 9500 one :)
-Apparently (I don't have one) the ION can do advanced 1x and temporal
2x.  Temporal 2x is barely distinguishable from advanced 2x to my eye,
so I don't think it's MUCH of a loss
-ION2 is due out.... within 6 months?  someone else may correct me,
but it IS coming.