[mythtv-users] Tuning problems with 0.22

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:05:12 UTC 2009

2009/11/30 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> 2009/11/29 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>:
>
>> Now with the new system I decided to delete all the channels, delete
>> the transports (via mythtv-setup) and start afresh.
>>
>> What happens now each time I do a tune is that after it has finished,
>> 15 mins or so, I end up with about '157 confilicting DVB channels'.
>> If I want to add these I must go through each one and give it a new
>> channel number?
>> However before I begun I made sure there were no existing channels? Do
>> I need to do some kind of database magic and delete these?
>>
>> I'm still not sure if I will then end up picking up channels from the
>> Lancaster repeater too?
>>
>> Is there a sure-fire way that I should do the tuning?
>
> Perhaps import/create the 6 muxes for the Winter Hill transmitter you
> want to use in mythtv-setup, and then limit the channel scanning to
> those muxes only - this would avoid the problem of the full spectrum
> scan picking up channels/muxes being broadcast from the repeater. I'm
> not sure if a tuned scan starting on one of the Winter Hill muxes
> would completely avoid detection of the repeater muxes, but it's worth
> a try.

Hmm, I saw a post a while ago about adding the muxes manually (for
Winter Hill), which I
did try at one point but it found no channels at all with them.

> The channel scanner in 0.22 saves previous scan information
> (muxes/channels). This can be cleaned out by truncating the relevant
> tables, but ISTR that you can clear this info out in the mythtv-setup
> scanner GUI (away from machine at the moment, so cannot confirm this).

Do you mean there is a different way other than deleting the channels
from the 'Add Channels' screen?

>> I have 2 x Nova-T PCI cards in the myth box. I assume I do not need to
>> do a separate tune on each card?
>
> Correct.
>
>> I'm also looking to add a dual tuner USB stick to the mix but I
>> thought I should get this setup working first. When I need to add
>> that, must I tune that separately?
>
> No. If your DVB-T tuners are all tuning to the same transmitter, you
> just need to create the video source once and attach it to all of the
> DVB-T inputs on the Input Connections screen.

Ok, thanks for clearing this up and thanks for you reply Nick.

Mike