[mythtv-users] Keeping frontend running?

JEDIDIAH jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 30 17:45:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:46:59AM -0600, Johnny Walker wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM, JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> >    I would think that mythbuntu would have you set up with auto login and
> > an X session setup where you would log out of X if mythfrontend terminates.
> > If you frontend terminates, it should be going back to GDM and then logging
> > back in (auto login) as mythtv and starting the frontend back up.
>
> Sadly no - in Mythbuntu when you ext mythfrontend you are left on the
> xfce desktop.

...a bug perhaps. My older mythbuntu packages included setting gdm to auto
login and a suitable xsession.

----------------- gdm-cdd.conf -----------------------------------------

[daemon]
#automatic login behavior
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=mythtv
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=mythtv
TimedLoginDelay=5

----------------- /usr/share/xsessions/mythbuntu.desktop ---------------

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Mythbuntu Session
Comment=Use this session to boot into mythbuntu.
Exec=/usr/share/mythtv/startmythtv.sh
Icon=
Type=Application

------------------ /usr/share/mythtv/startmythtv.sh [tail] ---------

### There's more to it than this, these are just my local mods.

export VISUAL=emacs
export EDITOR=emacs

export MYTHTVDIR=/opt/mythtv
PATH=$PATH:$MYTHTVDIR/bin

###export TZ="US/Central"

# start mythtv frontend software
# note: the logging related stuff was moved to /usr/bin/mythfrontend
# this is also the place where we source /etc/mythtv/session-settings
###exec /opt/mythtv/bin/mythfrontend --service
exec /opt/mythtv/bin/mythfrontend  -v libav \