[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:39:15 UTC 2009

> Ah - ok - so maybe I need to increase the resolution beyond what the
> tv can handle, and it will for it to overscan, and then use the
> overscan compensation to correct it.

No, it has nothing to do with resolution. I am not sure what you think
overscan is. I suggest you read up on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan. Your TV either overscans or it
doesn't. Some newer HD sets will have a setting to turn it on or off,
or may change it depending on the input. Almost all CRT TVs overscan.
The only difference is by how much.

I just use mythtv's built in screen size settings or wizard to adjust
the picture. You can scale the picture in either dimension or you can
shift it with offsets to move the offending pixels out of the viewable
area. Again check out the screen size wizard or look at your settings
menus.