[mythtv-users] hulu (flash) on ION

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 30 19:27:03 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 01:56 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 10:52 -0800, Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> Again, no version of Flash for Linux, Beta or not, is hardware accelerated.
>>
> Just more of why flash and more in particular, closed-source is
> generally evil.

After all, if it were open source, it would take developers all of about
10 minutes to add a colorspace conversion to allow the use of Xv--which
works on basically every video card in existence and means your CPU/RAM
don't have to push millions of pixels to the video card.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/408596#408596

Too bad Gnash ( http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash ) will always be
playing catch-up--and, likely, will be prevented from implementing some
functionality due to patents/proprietary portions of the Flash "standard".

>   There are always second (and indeed, no!) class
> citizens and in addition, citizens unable to even help themselves.
>
> It's a grand wish indeed, but I wish flash would just die and be
> replaced with the new HTML <video> support.  Yeah.  I did say it was a
> grand wish.  :-)

Yeah, but open standards-based delivery means the providers have to give
up their placebo-dream of control that their "custom, built-for-purpose"
Flash-based players provide.

Mike