[mythtv-users] Keeping frontend running?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 21:43:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM, JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:49:12PM -0500, Johnny wrote:
>> > ...a bug perhaps. My older mythbuntu packages included setting gdm to auto
>> > login and a suitable xsession.
>>
>> It does autologin at boot. They are talking about if you exit out of
>> myth or if myth crashes. The stuff you showed is what allows for
>> autologin and for mythtv to autostart at login, but it won't do
>> anything when myth crashes. It is easy enough to restart gdm though if
>> you want to add that to your script somehow.
>
> ...like I said. If program on the last line in the X session file dies,
> then the whole X session should die with it and you should be left at
> the GDM prompt. This is how the various "kill swtich" scripts work.
>
>   If you still see a desktop after mythfrontend terminates then the ordering
> of the session file is probably wrong.

True, but autologin works only on the first log in, you have to
separately enable it to keep logging in after window manager (or its
equivalent) exits. This setup may be good for an essentially embedded
system like myth box, but it also means that you can't change users
(it'll log you right in after a logout) so it's not the default.

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net