[mythtv-users] SPDIF Audio Stopped Working

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:30:23 UTC 2009

It seems to happen whenever you have both passthrough analog and
digital sound trying to play simultaneously.  When using the analog
outputs, everything is fine, but you can't mix the encoded digital
stream with an analog PCM stream.  This flips some bit in alsa which
basically just disables PCM on SPDIF (makes it an non-audio device.)
The "iecset audio on" flips it back.

I wrote a small script to do this and bound it to a key on my remote.
Just make sure nothing is currently playing sound, hit the button,
then try again.  I think at worst you should only have to exit the
frontend.

- Patrick