[mythtv-users] High CPU usage on trunk and Graphite in MythVideo

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:16:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Andrew Barbaccia
<andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Andrew Barbaccia
>> <andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm been doing some load testing on trunk.
>> >
>> > I'm running the Graphite theme with OpenGL. When browsing throught the
>> > video
>> > wall, everything is smooth and works like a charm (great work devs!). I
>> > am
>> > seeing an issue when I press the 'i' key to pull up a menu. At that
>> > point
>> > mythfrontend and xorg both jump to 99% usage.
>> >

>> This is a known issue with the GL Painter interacting badly with
>> negative offsets used in the XML of several themes.  Unfortunately,
>> using the Qt painter in those same cases is generally not an option
>> because it creates clipping issues that make the theme virtually
>> unusable.
>>
>> Robert
>

> Thanks for the quick response (and all your excellent responses thus far).
>
> I noticed the clipping that occurs with Qt but was focusing my work on
> OpenGL since the results are much...prettier.

Yes, the GL Painter is much nicer for sure.

> Will this be addressed in time for 0.22 or will it require a larger OpenGL
> fix upstream? Is there a workaround to not use negative offsets on the menus
> where this behavior occurs?

It's definitely a Myth issue, but I don't have an ETA on a fix for you
unfortunately.  I hope it will be fixed for .22 but I honestly am not
sure.  Quoting WarGames, the only way to win is not to play at all--
Terra and Graphite both make use of negative coordinates to some
extent, though Graphite much moreso.

> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> PS. Are you experiencing this as well? Can it be fixed with an upgrade of
> hardware or other configuration possibly?

Yes, I'm experiencing it (or at least, I was until I started work on
Arclight, which doesn't use any negative coordinates so far), and it
will likely appear regardless of hardware or configuration.

Hoping to have better/more information soon, but that's what I've got for now.

Robert