[mythtv-users] Intel/ION Lack of PCI Slots & Mythtv

David Scammell davescammell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 22:46:09 UTC 2009

Greg hi,

My take on the new frontend & in my case slave BE is the acer ion
revo, as I'm planning on buying an lcd panel tv too then hdmi becomes
important as the revo has but no svideo fyi. The revo doesn't look
like it has IR so i'm planning on buying a second maplin dual dvb
stick for £30,
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222858 , I already have
one on my MBE which works for me(tm). A second zapper (remote control)
means two for the living room.

As for the horsepower of the revo, they are being marketed at 'windows
desktops' so I figure that running our favorite linuxes the
performance shouldn't be to shabby. Unless your running something
really heavy it should be fine but I speculate as i've not played with
one yet, they will take 4GB ram and also the dual core (4 hyper
thread) revo's are coming, if you believe this:
http://blog.james.rcpt.to/2009/09/06/acer-aspire-revo-dual-core-linux/

I'm still of the opinion that the separate (ion type) system
motherboard and case will cost more and be physically bigger than
something like the revo. Alas it has no pci slots but then for £30 you
get a dual tuner and IR receiver. The existing nova-t's (and system)
can be ebayed after xmas when you might want to use it as a slave BE
to record all myriad rubbish on the telly for later watching.

dave