[mythtv-users] > 1TB Hard Drive Recommendations

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Oct 3 22:38:01 UTC 2009

freedenizen wrote:
> I have the 1.5TB Green drives, I'm quite happy with them, don't need
> anything too fast, they are just data drives, not system, and they use
> less power and run cooler then the seagate drives I had before.  I
> have heard issues with using them in RAID or certain controllers,
> disabling something, but what that something is escapes me.

On older 3ware controllers that can only do SATA-1 speeds (1.5 Gb/s) you
need to jumper SATA-2 drives to force them to use the lower speed.  The
auto-negotiation doesn't always work right, and I've seen non-jumpered
SATA-2 drives kicked out of the array under heavy load.  I know this
applies to the 95xx controllers, possibly some others.  On Western
Digital drives you do this by shorting the OPT1 jumper.  I don't know
about other brands; some may not even have a jumper for this, and I
wouldn't recommend using those with older 3ware boards.