[mythtv-users] Load detection on composite video out

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Oct 4 15:50:26 UTC 2009

I've been struggling with getting my mobo going using the composite
out.  The bios apparently uses load detection on the port to determine
if something is hooked up to it or not.

If I hook up a TV, it works fine.  If I hook up my amplified video
splitter, it fails to detect anything.  So based on a guess that load
detection is based on current draw, I took my ohmmeter and metered the
TV and the amp.  The TV meters to about 75 ohms, which at 1V gives me 13
ma. The amp meters to 22K ohms, which gives me 0.05 ma, probably not
enough to trigger the load detection circuitry.  (I know this is grossly
simplifying things, as the load is not purely resistive.  But it's the
best I can do.)

So.... Can I just add a resistor in parallel, something like 100 or 75
ohm, to the splitter amp across the input?  I just want to bump up the
current draw so that the mobo will detect the thing and turn on the
output at boot.

--Yan

--

   o__