[mythtv-users] FM Radio on MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 7 16:00:30 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 08:31 AM, Jos Hoekstra wrote:
> shacky schreef op 7-10-2009 14:13:
>>> If you don't have any luck with this route maybe the radio channels
>>> you want are available via DVB or IP ?
>>
>> Unluckily no, the radio channels I need to record are only available
>> via FM frequencies...
> MythFM used to be available in the past, I guess noone is developing
> it anymore.

Right, and Myth has no support for FM radio.  Many ask for it, so feel
free to work on it.  If interested, ask for some pointers (as there are
specific requirements for how it should be implemented if you want it to
become an official part of MythTV--versus a 3rd party plugin you'd be
responsible for maintaining "forever").

> If you're using an ivtv-card with FM-tuner, you could try to use a
> ivtv-utility to tune and something like alsaplayer or mplayer to play it.

If you do this, make sure you use EXECTV to start the player.  EXECTV
will tell Myth that the tuner is in use so it won't use any of the
card's inputs for recording TV (which means you /will/ get conflicts if
that card is needed to record your TV schedules).  If you'd prefer for
your TV tuner cards to be used for, er, TV tuning, get a separate FM
tuner card (that wouldn't be useful to Myth) and use it for FM radio.

> I used it for a while like that in the past, now internetradio is what
> I use.
> I don't have the exact stuff anymore, but google this: "ivtv radio play"
> and you should be on your way.

Yeah, I switched to Internet radio, too, because FM radio in my area is
"49 minutes of commercials every hour."  It's just not what I want.

Mike