[mythtv-users] Hulu releases Hulu Desktop for Linux

Eric Holt ericsh at wvcom.net
Fri Oct 9 16:32:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.hulu.com/labs
>
> Might be of interest to some people here

I installed this on my combo backend/frontend box here in my office and am
surprised to say it works relatively well.

My Myth box is Slackware-based, so I used the RPM and ran rpm2tgz on it,
then installpkg...  It installed with no issue on Slackware, so that was a
promising first start.  It was unable to locate my Flash plugin, but that
was an easy fix just had to put the location into the config file.

Remote didnt work out of the box, had to do some editing of config files and
start lircd with the --r option... but that mostly works now.  The
arrows/menu button work at least, tho right now my pause/volume buttons are
not doing anything at all.  Not sure if they are supposed to be or not,
still need to dig into that some.

Interesting oddity...  After a fresh reboot, if I immediately launch Hulu, I
get no audio.  Subsequent re-launches also have no audio.  It's only after I
play something in Myth that Hulu then has audio.  Not sure what that's all
about.  Maybe on reboot my volume is muted, and Myth is activating it?  I
dunno, still have to dig into this issue as well.

Playback looks pretty good... slightly "choppy" at times, and there is
definite tearing happening with horizontal panning -- but I expected as
much, I mean, its Flash on Linux afterall :)  *cough*  ;)  My TV 720p, and
content does look pretty good though.  Menus are a bit slow to render/react
when there is video playing.  AMD X2 5600+.  But definitely usable!

I added a menu option to launch this from my Media menu... works great.
Only issue is, when it launches I get a cursor in the middle of the screen
that never goes away.  Can't figure out how to fix that, yet...  Also, my
screen is blanking after a while.  I have DPMS turned off, and no
screensaver running... so not sure why that's happening.  I'm sure its
something simple I've overlooked.

Overall, this is promising.  Very... very... VERY promising :)
Just my .02... ;)
--Eric