[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Video Acceleration Question (h.264

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Fri Oct 9 19:07:25 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:57:39 -0700
> From: Peter Loron <peterl at standingwave.org>

>>> Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 13:36:50 -0700
>>> From: Peter Loron <peterl at standingwave.org>
>>>
>>> Yeah! This will be a great addition to ATV. Another 256M of RAM would
>>> be nifty, too.  :-)
>>
>> the larger capacity memory parts
>> still cost $80 to go from 256MB to 512MB.  Of course going to 1GB RAM
>> would cost $400 so 512MB looks like a bargain...

> The soldering I can handle (warms up his Metcal and magnifying lamp),
> the $80 is a drag. At that point, might as well get a Revo...

Well, the parts may drop in price.  Hmmm.  Checking Digi-Key they don't
even seem to be stocking them any more.   A year ago the 2Gb chips (yields
1GB in ATV) were $200 each, so they've come down 50%.  :-)   The 1Gb chips
have been pretty stubborn around $20 each (four needed) or a smidgen below
($17 - $18).

Part of the problem (I surmise) is that the mass-market chips are the X4
configuration and the ATV needs the X16 memory chips.  So even though one
uses the same capacity of memory chips as are cheaply available on DIMMs,
they don't quite benefit from the same economy of scale as you would get
if the ATV used X4 chips.

Jeff Walther