[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings to a NAS

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Oct 10 22:48:15 UTC 2009

> Rather than getting a NAS it would
> probably be a better idea to move your BE to where you are planning on
> puttiing your NAS (and add storage if you need it).

Then get a separate frontend.

I've already got the NAS, just looking for an effective way to use it.
Contrast with building a new frontend, which would cost a little under $500
(I know, I'm looking into putting a second frontend on the other TV).

> If you already have a NAS and want to utilize it why don't you just
> record straight to the NAS?

Does Myth buffer the recording data (perhaps in RAM) before it's written to
disk? I'm concerned that writing straight to the NAS could result in data
being lost if the bandwidth is saturated.

> Or if you have the NAS storage in the same
> storage group then you can just freely move files between the NAS and
> local drives and mythtv won't care where the file actually is, as long
> as it is in the same storage group.

Now that's more interesting. Now, can anyone give me some hints on checking
the database to be sure that moving is "safe" at that particular moment?

> Also if the NAS is just added to
> the storage group then mythtv will try to balance the load accross the
> local and NAS drives so moving stuff around shouldn't be necessary at
> all. If you don't have the bandwidth, then Gbit ethernet cards and
> switches are incredibly cheap these days.

My understanding from the Wiki was that balancing between local and network
storage is based on I/O throughput, and that network drives won't be
utilised until you exceed disk load equivalent to two simulataneous
recordings. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Chris Kerr