[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings to a NAS

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 23:08:38 UTC 2009

> I've already got the NAS, just looking for an effective way to use it.
> Contrast with building a new frontend, which would cost a little under $500
> (I know, I'm looking into putting a second frontend on the other TV).

$500? for a frontend. That is a pretty expensive frontend. What are
you spending the money on, a really nice case? CPUs and motherboards
that can do everything you need are cheap these days. Plus with VDPAU
you don't really need much in a frontend. Have you considered going
with a $200 ION solution, or is there some reason that won't work for
you?

> Does Myth buffer the recording data (perhaps in RAM) before it's written to
> disk? I'm concerned that writing straight to the NAS could result in data
> being lost if the bandwidth is saturated.

I don't know about that but you would have to be doing several HD
streams to saturate a 100 Mbit/s connection. Like I said you can get
Gbit ethernet cards and switches for $10-$20 to be safe. Unless you
are stuff with 100 Mbit/s on your NAS.

> Now that's more interesting. Now, can anyone give me some hints on checking
> the database to be sure that moving is "safe" at that particular moment?

I am not sure about that, but it seems feasible.

> My understanding from the Wiki was that balancing between local and network
> storage is based on I/O throughput, and that network drives won't be
> utilised until you exceed disk load equivalent to two simulataneous
> recordings. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I would be interested in the details of this also. My understanding is
that it will try to keep it to 1 recording per disk and it will choose
local storage first. But I see what you are referring to in the wiki
so maybe it will actually put 2 recordings on the local disk before
using the NAS.