[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings to a NAS

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 11 12:24:15 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 07:22 AM, William wrote:
> Not quite true. It will only delete files to make more room if its
> actually recording something. If not, you will run out of room. The
> thread only runs when something is recording.

It runs all the time, it only deletes when more room is needed for
recording stuff.

> This is a sucky feature of myth.

IMHO, MythTV's deleting recordings when it doesn't need to delete them
would be a sucky feature.  If you had told Myth to keep 5GB free and you
needed to temporarily copy a 4GB file to the Myth box, do you /really/
want Myth to delete 4+GB of recordings before you delete the 4GB file?

> I have to keep 50 gigs free to allow me to transfer large files to the
> NAS without running out of room.

If you are using the filesystem for other things and you want to keep
5GB free (or whatever), /you/ should check how much space is free and
then delete something (from the area you're using instead of Myth's area
or using mythfrontend or MythWeb to delete a Myth recording).  Even if
you have "Auto Expire instead of Delete Recording" (the Deleted
recording group), you can delete the recordings from disk by a) deleting
the recording, b) select the Deleted recording group, c) delete the
recording from the Deleted recording group (which deletes it permanently).

IMHO, though, the /best/ configuration gives MythTV its own filesystems
(that are not used by anything else).

Mike