[mythtv-users] How do you stop update-manager from starting at login time on mythbuntu?

Nicholas Meyer npmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 12:53:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to be batting 0.001 percent on things mythbuntuish right now.
> Now I can't find how mythbuntu keeps launching update-manager every
> time I bring the system up.

Are you on 9.04?  See the vanilla Ubuntu 9.04 release notes
(http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904) for an alternative
to disabling update-notifier outright:

"Change in notifications of available updates

Ubuntu 9.04 introduces a change to the handling of package updates,
launching update-manager directly instead of displaying a notification
icon in the GNOME panel. Users will still be notified of security
updates on a daily basis, but for updates that are not
security-related, users will only be prompted once a week.

Users who wish to continue receiving update notifications in the
previous manner can restore the earlier behavior using the following
command:

gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false"