[mythtv-users] Fancontrol with replaced CPU fan

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 13 05:27:16 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny" <jarpublic at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:21 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Fancontrol with replaced CPU fan

I have an Asus M3N78-EM and I have been using fancontrol to keep the
fans running slowly and quietly. It basically silent when idle and
ramps up a bit while I am using the machine but then the sound is
mostly covered by the audio out of mythtv. My CPU fan has recently
started making a loud annoying whine every 15 minutes or so. I thought
it would be simple to just replace the 70mm CPU fan, but there aren't
many available. The ones I can find all seem to use 3 pin connectors
rather than the 4 pin connector used by the cpu fan header. It is hard
to track them down because seraching for "4 pin" turns up all of the
fans that use 4 pin molex connectors. Is there a specific term for the
4 pin connector used on the cpu header? I would rather not get a whole
new heatsink just to replace the fan. I am also really happy with
fancontrol and prefer it to some sort of manual undervolting switch
etc.

The chassis fan uses a 3 pin header but fancontrol is able control
that with PWM. However, my reading indicates that plugging a 3 pin fan
into the 4 pin header will not work. I believe it will just run full
blast all the time and won't have any PWM control. I am interested on
opinions about my existing options or any better ideas.

1) Get a bigger 80mm or 90mm with a 4 pin connector and figure out
some way to attach it to the heat sink (some have suggested 2 sided
tape). This seems like the most likely if I can secure it in any
acceptable way.

See http://www.kindminds.com/universal-fan-adapter-K222-10.html for an option, in theory CPU fans do not generate much pressure,
however I have used one without issue, other than ....fan noise!  Ironically larger fans can draw less current and shift more
air...!  (maybe fan control might become less important then?)

2) Control both fans with the 3 pin chassis header and a y-splitter.
(Will this even work, RPM readings, power?)