[mythtv-users] Fans

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 13 12:51:39 UTC 2009

On Monday 12 October 2009 20:02:56 Johnny wrote:
> > My last fan purchase was a Scythe product, using the Sony fluid
> > dynamic bearing technology under license.  Would be interesting to see
> > a comparison of the technologies.
>
> Yeah I have been looking at the Scythe S-FLEX fans with those
> bearings. They seem to be well received and they are a little bit
> cheaper than the Noctua fans. Brian, I am curious on what metric you
> were recommending the Rotron and Papst fans. They do seem a little
> pricey and their specs seem like they are louder than the Scythe or
> Noctua fans would be for the same amount of air flow. So is it a
> matter of the specs not representing real world performance. Or do you
> prefer those brands for the durability or some other metric?

Noise has never been a major factor with me. The Rotron and Papst fans seem to
last forever, this from experience with them in the commercial electronics
field (TV broadcasting). We were more interested in reliability than in the
noise level.

Then there were the blowers we used to cool the old PYE-TVT transmitters at
the former WTC site, they were made by British Organ Blowing, and were the
size of a small desk, probably not optimum for PC use :-)

(Yes, many bad jokes were made about the name of that company).

Since I am retired my information is somewhat dated, so there may well be
better fans available today.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org