[mythtv-users] UI feedback in 0.22

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 10:22:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/10/15 Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>:
>> I've been testing 0.22 on a very slow combined FE/BE machine.  When I
>> select "Watch Recordings", it can take 4-5 seconds before the
>> recordings list is displayed.  In the meantime, the screen is
>> unchanged, making the user think the remote control signal wasn't
>> received, so the user presses Select a few more times, and all those
>> Selects are queued up and processed after the recordings list comes
>> up.
>
> The first time you run it, it will be slow as the preview icon are generated.
>
> If you search the archive of this list, there has been talk about
> issues with why the caching would work and how to fix the problem

Preview generation is a separate issue (btw, thanks mdean for the
r22456 commit!).  While you're waiting for preview images to be
generated, at least you can see that you're at the Recordings page.
The problem I'm talking about is a multi-second delay going from the
main menu page to the Recordings page, in which it appears that you're
still stuck at the main menu page.  It wasn't a problem in 0.21
because the text on the main menu page would be erased while the
Recordings page was being rendered.  I hope that's a clear enough
explanation.

Jim