[mythtv-users] Freesat EPG & Config

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 05:44:36 UTC 2009

2009/10/13 Simon Jones <sijones_uk at yahoo.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm hoping someone can help me with a few config questions.
>
> I have 2 skystar2's pointing to Astra 28.2, and 2 DVB-t tuners on Freeview, running Kubuntu 9.10, with latest trunk build of Myth.
>
> If I scan the freeview and set that up, I get EPG with no problems.
>
> When doing Freesat, I can scan and get channels but the EPG never populates?
> I have come over from MediaPortal and in that you have to say which channel to pull the epg from, am wondering if I have to do the same on freesat in myth?

If the Freesat video source is configured to use EIT, and the channels
in the Freesat EPG are set to receive listings from the on air guide,
you should get listings eventually. It may take some time if you have
not trimmed your list of satellite channels to only those you want to
receive (by setting unwanted channels to invisible). If the EIT
scanner starts on a non-Freesat multiplex, you will also have to wait
for it to tune to a Freesat mux before you start to see listings (as I
understand it). With Freeview, each of the 6 muxes carries EIT data,
so it appears much quicker. If you configure the capture card to use
active EIT scanning, scanning will occur whenver the card is
available. However, if passive scanning if used, MythTV will wait
until a recording is in progress on the card before EIT scanning
occurs - therefore if the card is infrequently used, you may not see
listings for some time.

> Also, what the offical way of doing multiple tuners, do you have to scan on each card and do the channels on each one?

If the tuners share a common set of tuneable channels (such as
Freeview, or Freesat) then you only scan once and attach the video
source to each of the similar tuners.

> Am a bit confused because I have scanned on both now and got duplicate channels with some set to invisible because myth offered to set something or other!!!

With a mixed Freeview/Freesat setup, you need to create 2 video
sources and then do a scan on each; i.e. one scan for DVB-T (Freeview)
and one scan for DVB-S (Freesat). Once the 2 video sources have been
configured, you can attach them to as many (or as few) compatible
tuners as you have available. If in the future you decide to add more
Freesat tuners, you would configure the new cards and then connect
them to the existing Freesat video source. No further scanning would
be required (unless you wanted to check for new/updated channels in
the future...).

With regard to invisible channels, some may be set to invisible if
they are seen to be encrypted or are audio-only channels. You can
choose this behaviour when configuring the channel scan/video source.

With regard to duplicate channels, for MythTV to treat a channel
available on each video source (e.g. ITV Central) as a duplicate for
scheduling purposes, the channels need to be configured with the same
callsign. To have the channel only appear once in the EPG, you would
also give each 'copy' of the channel the same channel number.

> Any help would be good just to get my head round how it works! I have only one video source for sat, and was going to do one source for freeview too, is this correct????

Yes (see previous).

Cheers,
Nick

--