[mythtv-users] XBMC questions

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:40:39 UTC 2009

2009/10/16 Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>

> [snip]
>
> Does that mean that quite of a few of you are using the XBMC frontend
> for almost everything?
> What's your feedback?
> And does it all work with a remote control?
> And does anyone have it working on CentOS 5.x?
>
> I'm using XBMC for all my non tv media watching. I have it added to the
main menu in mythtv, and the power button on the remote is set to pkill it
if it's running (so it's a 1 button press back to myth.) Works well.

This is a MCE remote using lirc.

In .mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml I have:-

<button>
<type>SETTINGS_VIDEO</type>
<text>XBMC</text>
<action>EXEC /home/mythtv/bin/startxbmc.sh</action>
</button>

The startup script is just to make sure I uses the correct version of the
shared samba library, (I'm  building xbmc from source on debian and there's
a problem with the supplied version.) if this isn't an issue you can just
execute the binary from here.

I also have in my .lircrc:-

begin
 button = Power
 prog = irexec
 repeat = 0
config = /home/mythtv/bin/killfrontend.sh
end

Where 'killfrontend.sh' is:-

#!/bin/bash
if [ "`pgrep xbmc`" ];then
        pkill -9 xbmc
else
        pkill -9 mythfrontend
fi

Which gives me 1 press of the power button to kill xbmc, another press to
kill mythfrontend (so mythshutdown can do it's thing.)

Cheers,

Ian