[mythtv-users] UI feedback in 0.22

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:15:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 03:22 -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> Preview generation is a separate issue (btw, thanks mdean for the
>> r22456 commit!).  While you're waiting for preview images to be
>> generated, at least you can see that you're at the Recordings page.
>> The problem I'm talking about is a multi-second delay going from the
>> main menu page to the Recordings page, in which it appears that you're
>> still stuck at the main menu page.  It wasn't a problem in 0.21
>> because the text on the main menu page would be erased while the
>> Recordings page was being rendered.  I hope that's a clear enough
>> explanation.
>
> I understand the issue and we made some effort to address it for 0.22.
> This screen needed to be largely rewritten to port it to MythUI, so
> correctness was of larger importance than responsiveness. Because of
> the flexibility offered to MythUI themes for the watch recordings
> screen, more data is loaded than in 0.21 and we have not yet made a
> number of anticipated speedups. Going forward I anticipate there will
> be more on-demand loading, and themes that load a lot of data and need
> high end processors and themes that load less data and will be less
> processor intensive than even 0.21 was.

It turns out this was mostly a false alarm.  Sorry for making an issue
out of it.  Last night I made the leap and upgraded all 5 production
myth boxes to 0.22.  With my reasonably powerful master backend (Core
2 Duo E5200) and a reasonably weak frontend (IONITX-C), bringing up
the Recordings page with almost 1000 recordings is pretty much as fast
as in 0.21, about 2-3 seconds.

I still wish I could get some visual feedback during this 2-3 seconds.
 It seems like changing the button background image after it is pushed
would be good feedback.  But I haven't managed to see any effect of
entering the "pushed" state.  I tried adding something like the
following to the mythuitheme.mainmenu.menu.buttonitem section of
menu-ui.xml:
  <state name="pushed">
    <imagetype name="background">
      <filename />
    </imagetype>
  </state>
to try to make the background disappear whenever a menu button is
pressed, but nothing happens.  Is the "pushed" state supported?  Are
there any known working examples in some theme?

Jim